reading

Federal Legislation

How will your career be affected if healthcare reform becomes law? If you’re a billing and coding specialist or student, questions like these have probably been on your mind:

• Will I see a big increase in demand for my services?

• If coverage is increased for eldercare, women’s care and other targeted needs, will that create new opportunities for me?

• If Medicare changes, how will that impact on my career?

Because the healthcare bill is still being modified and debated, there is no way to know definitive answers to those questions. But some predictions are still possible.

Let’s look at what we do know . . .

Millions of additional Americans will be covered if healthcare legislation passes. “The $1.1 trillion bill would expand insurance coverage to an additional 38 million people over the next decade by requiring that almost all citizens have insurance and providing subsidies to those who can’t afford it,” writes Emily T. Walker in MedPage Today.

Source: “House Passes Healthcare Reform” by Emily T. Walker; MedPage Today.

Prediction: The need for billers and coders should increase dramatically if legislation passes.

A number of specialized services will be covered. According to the On Women blog of U.S. News, additional women’s healthcare procedures, including mammograms and cervical cancer screenings, will be covered if the bill passes.

Source: “Women’s Preventive Health Amendment Added to Senate Reform Bill” by Deborah Kotz; On Women blog.

Prediction: An increase in needed services for women and other underserved groups should contribute to a growing need for medical billers and coders.

Medicare will remain a strong and growing program. For assurance that Medicare services will not be diminished if healthcare reform passes, watch “VP Biden Discusses Healthcare with Seniors,” a 90-minute video available on Whitehouse.gov.

Prediction: As America’s population continues to increase (as reported on the U.S. Census), a growing number of older Americans will need medical care – and that should increase the demand for skilled information processors.

While no one can predict exactly how many new jobs will be created by healthcare reform, the outlook seems extremely good for billers and coders – and for the consumers they serve.

Discussion

122 Responses to “The Impact of Healthcare Reform on Medical Billing and Coding… How Far Will the Boom Go?”

1. I had to refresh the page 2 times to view this page for some reason, however, the information on here was worth the wait. I loved that it is also really easy to read for the eyes.

Posted by how to earn extra money | February 21, 2010, 8:02 am
  2. It appears you have placed lots of effort into your post and I need more of these on the net in recent times. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t actually have significantly to speak about responding, I only wished to comment to reply amazing work.

Posted by Arlette Siciliano | February 24, 2010, 9:08 pm
  3. Seems like you have placed lots of hard work into your article and I need more of these on the web right now. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t truly have significantly to talk about in response, I only wanted to comment to reply amazing work.

Posted by help get pregnant | February 27, 2010, 12:38 am
  4. I observe a good improvement in your composing, I would adore to get in touch. Maintain the excellent perform! Your writing is quite motivational for someone who’s a new comer to this type of stuff.

Posted by health current event | February 28, 2010, 12:04 am
  5. Just checking out your site on my new HTC Phone , and I wanted to see if it would let me reply or if it made me go to a full pc to do that. Ill check back later to see if it worked.

Posted by Topsoil Newark | March 6, 2010, 11:17 am
  6. great article,but i have some difficulty in understanding the final section, can you please explain a bit more?

Posted by Elisha Broks | March 7, 2010, 9:26 am
  7. Very interesting blog post I love your blog keep up the great articles

Posted by acne removal surgery | March 8, 2010, 7:55 am
  8. Very cool, I really enjoyed it. Do you know of somewhere I can see more about it?

Posted by Witt3312 | March 11, 2010, 4:09 pm
  9. Hi – I would like to say thank you for an interesting post about a subject I have had an interest in for a long time now. I have been lurking and reading the posts avidly so just wanted to express my gratitude for providing me with some very good reading material. I look forward to more, and taking a more active part in the discussions here, whilst learning too!!

Posted by Elmira Andresen | March 21, 2010, 4:50 am
  10. I have been visiting related blogs and sites lately and i have to admit you have a nice design and content. I have bookmarked your page and hope to mention your post in my potential blog.

Posted by F5000 Inversion Table | March 22, 2010, 10:54 pm
  11. I normally surf all over the web because I have the tendancy to read a lot (which isn’t always a great idea because many sites just copy from each other) but I must say that yours contains some great substance! Thanks for stopping the trend of just being another copycat site! ;-)

Posted by sizzix big shot | March 25, 2010, 3:19 pm
  12. Hey – quality write-up. As we all know, the Obamacare bill passed. A lot of questions still remain, but we all know that it is that it won’t be cheap. I run a small business, and I’m concerned about the raise in taxes. I want to hire more people, but this plan makes that extra hard for us little guys. Here’s the problem: If we can’t hire, how will this economy come back? Anyhow… slick blog – I’m subscribed to your RSS feed now so I’ll be checking in regularly!

Posted by White Flood | March 30, 2010, 4:10 pm
  13. Keep up the great work!

Posted by Jared Mignogna | April 12, 2010, 10:39 am
  14. Hopefully with the health reform bill passing, we will all have access to better health care.

Posted by nevada health insurance | April 18, 2010, 8:19 pm
  15. I wish more people would write blogs like this that are actually interesting to read. With all the garbage floating around on the internet, it is a great change of pace to read a blog like yours instead.

Posted by Makeda Hollerud | April 19, 2010, 3:57 pm
  16. My friend told me about your blog, so I thought I’d come have a read. Very interesting reading, will be back for more!

Posted by Fernando Wheetley | April 21, 2010, 1:15 pm
  17. Just wanted to say you have a great site and thanks for posting!

Posted by Larry Burgoa | April 21, 2010, 1:53 pm
  18. Great read. Thanks for the info!

Posted by Joaquin Pov | May 13, 2010, 7:18 am
  19. I find it very reassuring to hear that the demand for medical billers and coders are likely to increase. I am tired of having jobs that “wash out” from under me due to insufficient amount of work.

Posted by sbunke | November 23, 2010, 10:55 am
  20. A very interesting site. I had some questions answered. Thanks for the insight.

Posted by T. Miller | November 28, 2010, 2:48 pm
  21. These article seems quite reassuring to me. Lately I have worried a lot about this scenario, spending as much time and money on a career that may become absolete if the reform goes through. This sounds a little more colorful for our future.

Posted by Narda | December 11, 2010, 1:28 am
  22. This sounds much better than the sad picture many of my friends have painted for me the minute I tell them I have return to school for a degree in billing and coding.

Posted by Narda | December 11, 2010, 1:30 am
  23. I think that it will be a great idea if the bill gets passed, the cost of having a mammogram or cervical cancer screening is so costly that some can’t afford to get checked.So with the reform bill that will help a lot of people, and with the demand for more medical and billing people, its great. More work.

Posted by Mary Cruz | December 11, 2010, 3:36 pm
  24. Great informtion. Thanks for taking the time to post it so people like me can read it.

Posted by Lori Vicari | December 12, 2010, 12:15 pm
  25. I think that there will be alot of jobs in the medical field. Due to alot of seniors, and population growing. It will mean more skilled healthcare workers are needed to do the jobs that need doing.

Posted by Barbara NcCue | December 12, 2010, 2:08 pm
  26. As a nation, seniors are now living longer, thanks to modern science. I certainly hope there will be more jobs in the field of medical billing and coding. I’m 57, and I need to work another 8 to 10 years.

Posted by FREDNA SEARCY | December 13, 2010, 1:30 pm
  27. I am a 47 year old single parent looking to better my future in medical billing and coding. I am a current student at UMA and expected to graduate April 2011. I can’t wait for the health-care legislation to pass this law. I know that would secure a better future for me and my family. This is great information and very informative!

Posted by Kim Ramirez | December 13, 2010, 10:26 pm
  28. I think with the healthcare reform and more people having health insurancde there will definitely be more positions available in this field and will continue to grow.

Posted by Lori Vicari | December 14, 2010, 3:51 pm
  29. This will greatly affect the billers & coders as the more people who have healthcare, the more people will be needed to code for doctors, hospitals, etc. This is a wonderful time to be training & prepping for a career that is not going away!

Posted by Kathie Cawthon | December 14, 2010, 7:06 pm
  30. This in the long run will help the billing and coding industry. More people will have health care and positions will open in the health care in all areas.

Posted by Gail Dishman | December 15, 2010, 9:09 pm
  31. This is good to know, that I choose a career that is important and have good demand.

Posted by Agnes Mendez | December 17, 2010, 5:55 pm
  32. Lately the private practice Doctors are getting out of medicaid and medicare programs. However I’m positive that the coder and biller will still be needed because credit healthcare programs will be purchased. Case in point; we were in a car accident last year and the chiropractor that we went to set us up on a care credit plan until our car insurrance settled with us because our health insurrance did not cover that kind of care and we had the care and payment for that care in the end. I have always worked at hospitals and I am confident that patient care will always be there no matter what program is in place. I honestly think that there are ways to bypass the problems that come up in healthcare.

Posted by Maria Bays | December 18, 2010, 3:17 pm
  33. If the Health reform bill should pass this would open up jobs for all those people who are attending school for billing and coding. This would also benefit the economy also because job rates would go down which would be a great plus these days.

Posted by Jo Washington | December 18, 2010, 10:46 pm
  34. If the healthcare reform bill is passed it will benefit a lot of people,especically those who need healthcare for medical treatment.Also the people or students that are in school to become medical billers and coders those jobs are much needed.

Posted by Charlenne Barrera | December 19, 2010, 5:42 pm
  35. Thanks for the information it looks as if the need for us isn’t going away anytime soon.

Posted by Suzette | January 3, 2011, 8:36 am
  36. The passing of the Health Care Reform bill means more people will have insurance coverage, more procedures will be performed and more diseases will be treated for all ages. Reading this information leads me to believe that with the passing of this reform there will be more job opportunities in the healthcare field in general, and definitely for medical billers and coders. There are so many different avenues we can pursue to use our skills after we get our credentials–in a hospital, doctors’ office, clinic, or even from home.
    But now that there has been some changes in the congress and senate there is talk about them repealing the bill. I really pray that doesn’t happen because I am one of those lacking insurance coverage as well as one of those training to go into the coding field.

Posted by DeLores Way | January 4, 2011, 4:09 pm
  37. I really like this web site because it lets me know that the field that i am about to go into is in great demand as of now. I’m sure that by the time I graduate and get my diploma, that we will really be in demand and not have to fight as hard for whatever job I can get. Thanks for the information. Very informative and I hope the healthcare reform passes for everyone’s sake.

Posted by Janice Austin | January 4, 2011, 6:42 pm
  38. If health care reform is passed more people will have insurance,so more will go get the care they need and i do see this improving our opportunities in the medical billing and coding field.

Posted by Carla Dailey | January 8, 2011, 2:05 am
  39. I believe that there will be a a demand for medical billers/coders once the new medical reform is fully enacted. The baby boomers and this will merge at the same time and as my grandmother would put it: the medical field is going to hit a brick wall.

Posted by terry wolcott | January 9, 2011, 4:10 pm
  40. I think if the health care passes it will allow a lot of people get the health care that they need. I also think it will open up more doors for the students that aretaking the medical billing and coding courses.

Posted by Sharon Hill | January 9, 2011, 5:36 pm
  41. I think the Republicans are going to try to repeal the health care legislation, but whether it passes or not, I believe there will be a big demand for medical billing and coding. I am just starting out at UMA and am really enjoying it.

Posted by Julie Pew | January 10, 2011, 12:29 am
  42. thanks for sharing. once you graduated from school/college/university you will need a job . you can find it in http://ineedjob2.com or you can check http://newjobvacancy.info .what a useful blogs

Posted by neo | January 22, 2011, 9:23 pm
  43. I am hopeful that the reform will keep medical billers and coders happily employed. As the generations get older, the more they will need our assitance. If this reform is to include any or all persons to maintain insurance, then there will be job security for the medical biller and coder.

Posted by Gesila Hargrove | January 23, 2011, 10:01 am
  44. With people living longer and coming up with different problems that are new do to age medicare will be there for them. It will also ensure job security for medical billers/coders.

Posted by Elizabeth Mihalo | January 23, 2011, 1:59 pm
  45. While the debate continues on exactly how healthcare will be reformed, I am confident after reading this that the field of medical billing & coding will continue to prosper. The more people who have access to health insurance, more medical services will be provided and therefore, the need for medical billers and coders will be necesaary to process the claims. Looks like I can finally have the employment security I once had. It makes me very happy that I choose to take course at UMA to pursue my dream of finding permanent employment.

Posted by Kim Price | January 24, 2011, 8:16 am
  46. If the medical reform is passed I think there will not be enough medical and biller coders out there to keep up. We have the baby-boomers that are at retirement age and will be on medicare and there are alot of families that are unemployed and will have to depend on public assistence for medical coverages. This could more doors opened for medical and biller coders.

Posted by Diana Powell | January 24, 2011, 9:48 am
  47. I enjoyed your blog, it makes me feel less nervous about beingable to find a job after graduation. Thanks again

Posted by Tracy Boyer | January 25, 2011, 10:56 am
  48. This could have a postive inpact or negative effect. It can cause an overload of medical biller and coders or it can cause an overload of work for one person.

Posted by Debbie Carrell | January 25, 2011, 3:38 pm
  49. What I am learning is that there will be a need for skilled workers in the medical billing and coding profession as America becomes a more older population, with a need for more health reform.

Posted by Agnes Shorts | January 25, 2011, 9:51 pm
  50. After reading this post,you can’t help but wonder what really is going to happen. I have friends who are in the field and their jobs have been eliminated due to the technology of computers putting codes in as the physician writes the report. Is this possible that in the future we will be needed?

Posted by Anita Crisman | January 28, 2011, 9:59 am
  51. Two areas that will not be affected by this reform are online IT degree and the medical health programs

Posted by Cardinal | January 29, 2011, 5:13 pm
  52. My thoughts are running toward the thought of how many jobs will be available if it really does happen.

I guess we will know what will happen eventually.

It boggles the mind.

Posted by Kathryn Spring | January 29, 2011, 11:55 pm
  53. In response to the technology of computers and coding, someone has to enter that information by way of EMR or having to read the physicians handwriting. If it is a direct input, the physician will probably need a scribe to do that while he is examining the patient, that scribe needs to know what we are learning as biller coders to make sure the data is entered correctly. I have scribed for physicians and having an idea of what documentation etc is expected for different levels of exams etc is definately an asset. I think this article has given hope to more of a need for our services. I was wondering if the market was going to be saturated, but I feel better.

Posted by Linda Bradley | January 30, 2011, 12:25 pm
  54. I never intellection of these events/celebrations as word sides of the synoptical strike, but it makes sagaciousness. I always make Chernobyl as the repair in minute where condition exchange took a favour for the lowest. I lived in Jugoslavija (now Hrvatska) the season directly multitude the disaster. The residue reached that far (likely far into) Continent as it did parts of Alaska and level CA. Equal at that fix, grouping were noticing that the windward was extraordinary. A raise up label for reliable and yes, has a lot to do with individuals waking up to the sincerity of the place. Thanks for message this panorama

Posted by Dr. Patrik | January 31, 2011, 1:05 pm
  55. The need for medical billers according to this article will increase as the bill is passed to cover all americans. The coverage will allow more screenings and other procedures to be done for women. This in turn will require knowledgeable coders and billing specialists.

Posted by Tina Reed | February 2, 2011, 6:20 am
  56. With the increase in population and the increased length of a persons lifespan and the insurance reform bill the need for qualified medical billers & coders will most suredly increase. A knowledgeable biller/coder shoul;d have no problem obtaining and retaining employment in this position and will also give the knowledgable person a chance to increase in position as the need for competent biller/coders increases.

Posted by Glenda Irvin | February 6, 2011, 1:20 pm
  57. This is exciting that woman will be offered more preventive procedures, including mammograms and cervical cancer screenings. Millions of additional Americans will be covered if healthcare legislation passes. “The $1.1 trillion bill would expand insurance coverage to an additional 38 million people over the next decade by requiring that almost all citizens have insurance and providing subsidies to those who can’t afford it,” I am a person who has experienced what it is like to not have insurance due to job loss. Every year more and more families are filing bankruptcy due to medical debt. Not everyone can afford health insurance in this country. Lots of families with dependents are covered under Medicare / Medicaid plans these are mostly low income families. Baby Boomers who are unemployed can’t get insurance when the loose their jobs. They can’t afford the high premiums. This to me is really outrageous and these people have worked hard all their lives. Hopefully God Willing I will be fortunate to have a job because of increasing health care services as a Medcal Billing Coder!

Posted by Denise Brown | February 7, 2011, 12:13 pm
  58. I believe also that the field I have chosen to go into Medical billing and coding will increase whether the health care bill passes or not. The population is steady growing and we will always need hospitals and doctors and nurses,and they will always charge for their services. So with that said doctors and hospitals will always need the services of quaified Medical Billers and Coders.

Posted by Ronda Tyree | February 11, 2011, 6:16 pm
  59. I hope the predictions in this article are correct and that the need for medical coders & billers is increased.

Posted by Sharon Fawver | February 13, 2011, 10:30 am
  60. Medical coding and billing may explode. But then again it may become so regulated that the jobs become existent. Sometimes bigger is not better.

Posted by Vicki Tyler | February 19, 2011, 4:03 pm
  61. It is good to know that the outlook for future medical billers and coders is very good. Our Healthcare Reform should be good news to all of the individuals that do not have medical insurance coverage, which is much needed.

Posted by Sonya Canon | February 28, 2011, 6:48 pm
  62. I feel that we will have to wait and see just how that Health Care Reform Bill will effect us as billers and coders.

Posted by Bandi Llamas | March 2, 2011, 6:41 pm
  63. With all the changes in healthcare, we as coders and billers will be much more in demand. Also, with the IDC 10 books coming out October 2013, we will be doing much more in detail in coding. I think it will be a very exciting time for all of us.

Posted by Tammy Garmon | March 4, 2011, 4:16 pm
  64. I believe there is going to be a big demand across the board in the medical field, not just in coding and billing. A friend in the insurance industry says doctors who are already heavy in demand will become overwhelmed. He keeps hearing it being said they are worried about such a load increase and some will want to retire rather than deal with such a stressful burden upon them. We will all be very busy indeed.

Posted by Mike L. | March 6, 2011, 10:28 am
  65. I agree with Ronda. The population is living longer and our services will defintely be needed. Then Mike points out the fact that some doctors will be retiring and others will have to step up and fill those spots. As he said, we will be busy!

Posted by Linda Pike | March 6, 2011, 4:46 pm
  66. When the details of the new health bill are finally enacted as the their no doubt be more people eligible to for health benefits, with more people, unltimately their will be a need for more people to serve them. As with all
    new opportunities in the health field, more training and expertise will be required of biller and coder to meet the needs of this increasing populous that need quality health care.

Posted by Jane J. | March 13, 2011, 11:17 am
  67. I feel that the healthcare reform bill will drastically affect the need for medical billers and coders due to the fact that there will be millions more people with insurance coverage seeking medical care.

Posted by Laurie Brown | March 13, 2011, 8:56 pm
  68. I feel that if Legislative passes the Health Care that there will be a number of specialized services covered and Medicine will remain a strong and growing program; this making Billing and Coding more in demand.

Posted by Frances Brown | March 19, 2011, 3:05 pm
  69. I think that in the mean time we are not longer need it because every thing is going to be done by a computer, like the electronic medical record every thing is automatic the Dr,just introduce the infortmation and is already code so you just need to send the electronic bill.

Posted by claudia zapata | March 21, 2011, 6:09 pm
  70. A cording to the prediction and if they are correct We will have the need of incresed number of Medical Billing and Coders.

Posted by Mary Lawrence | April 3, 2011, 2:54 pm
  71. I think right now everyone is jumping to conclosions. I do not think that this law will pass. There are to many people that are without work and they can not afford insurance. If the insurance companies do summit the change of cost to those that can ot afford and make it available to them what about everyone eose? I feel that the insurance companies are making to much as it is. With them making the cost in a office visit more expensive then what it would be with a patient that has know insurance; they are making a killing. The physicians would have to cut the cost of there procedures so that everyone can afford it, as well as, the hosptials and everyone else is involved. If this does pass then yes there would be more need to have billers and coders to help out with the filing of their claims. At this moment right now they are in need of billers and coders and there is know one to fill the spots that is why they are crtying for more help. They would need to make it easy to get a certificate so that there are more billers and coders to fill what postions arre available right now. Everyone thinks that just because that everything is going to be computerized that they will no longer need biller and coders. I hate to say this they will always need them. Reason I say this is because they still keep records on paper for back up if a computer system crashes and that they would lot lose everything. They will need to keep the records straight so that everything will not all be lost. Everyone has to have a backup system if it bee that they copy everysday all the records that was done and corrected and to also have a copy in paper that they still keep behind close doors.

Posted by Pooh | April 3, 2011, 4:46 pm
  72. I think the services of medical billers and coders will increase, if the changes are made to womens’ healthcare. Also, as others have stated the increased lifespan of people increase with our medical technology.

Posted by Patricia Kimmel | April 4, 2011, 2:02 pm
  73. If this Reform Bill passes, I believe that the need for Medical Billers and Coders will be on the rise. With so many people out there without insurance, There will be a higher demand for our profession.

Posted by Bonnie Scott | April 5, 2011, 11:01 am
  74. I do think that we as medical billers and coders are going to be in much higher demand. If the bill passes for insurance for women, it will mean that many more procedures will be performed.

Posted by Mecca Storer | April 6, 2011, 6:16 pm
  75. After reading this article, it seems that passing this bill will very much benefit the career of a medical biller and coder. The bill will give many more people the medical insurance they need to keep themselves healthy. This in turn, will give many more opportunities for employment. I for one hope they pass the bill, only because it will give medical insurance to those who can’t afford it. Which will only benefit most people.

Posted by Elizabeth Gascon | April 7, 2011, 8:20 am
  76. I believe that jobs will be created and it will still be a booming business. With all the new coverages that had no coverage and with the ageing it will be good for us and the country as a whole

Posted by Janice Golding | April 9, 2011, 9:23 am
  77. I think that the way things are going in the medical field that there will be alot of jobs for medical billers and coders. There is so much to learn in this field and the job market for this field and other medical fields is growning like hot cakes. So I think the future will be very good to us medical billers and coders.

Posted by Shirley W | April 9, 2011, 3:25 pm
  78. There will be some changes to our health care if the new healthcare bill passes. It will be for everyone and everyone will have to sign up for it. It will also create new medical screenings for womens health care that will increase medical billing and coding. I think that it looks like it will be a good career to be in. An increase of medical services should increase a good number of job openings for medical billers and coders. In addition to the new programs, Medicare will still be going strong.

Posted by Terri Butterbaugh | April 19, 2011, 2:49 pm
  79. I would like to see this health care reform pass. It would be nice to be able to see a doctor for check-ups and not have to spend all the money that we don’t really have to do it. Medical Billers and Coders will have many opportunities with this new health care program.

Posted by Debbie Bridges | April 20, 2011, 7:29 am
  80. I would like to see this health care reform pass. It would be nice to be able to see a doctor for check-ups and not have to spend all the money that we don’t really have to do it. Medical Billers and Coders will have many opportunities with this new health care program.

Posted by Debbie Bridges | April 22, 2011, 9:59 am
  81. While our current system certainly has many flaws, I don’t think the federal government should be overhauling health care in its entirety just because a small percentage of the population lacks coverage.

Why not work out a plan to get those people covered, and leave everyone else alone? I for one am very happy with my health care and have no need for the government to force a change.

In my opinion, this health care reform bill is just a start down the slippery slope toward a single-payer system.

Posted by Greg D | April 25, 2011, 8:18 am
  82. I believe the Health Care Reform will be good for all those people who, lack going to the doctor due to not having any insurance (I am one of those people). I need a mammogram, which the doctor order me to have one back in January, and I still have not went to have it done. This Reform will increase the medical field in all areas in a positive way all the way around.

Posted by Patricia Sullivan | May 10, 2011, 11:57 am
  83. I agree with a lot of the posts, I believe that medical and billing will show a great increase of opportunities. I also don’t think the bill will pass since it attempts to force to do something (get insurance) that they may not be able to afford to do.

Posted by Julie Leonard | May 10, 2011, 6:14 pm
  84. I believe there will be a demand to a certain exstent. It might require a person to move out of state to find a good job or they can try working from home . I like the second one, I don’t like moving.
    But in all I think there will be medical coding oppurtunites for alot of people. Just have to get use to the code changes every so often.

Posted by matilda sink | May 12, 2011, 7:48 am
  85. For one, I believe that we should wait until the ‘dust settles’ on all of this Health Reform business. It is definitely not all ironed out.
    There will be a need for knowledgeable billers and coders, but then again, will the public be able to afford their mandated health insurance? The whole situation seems to be in such a frenzy, and, in my own opinion, it is something Washington is using to keep us from paying attention to what they are really planning for us on other things. We need to keep our eyes open on all fronts, not just Health Care Reform. The government is sticking their noses into too much of our daily lives.

Posted by T. Lynne Williford | May 15, 2011, 8:48 am
  86. It seems to me that it will increase the job opportunities for medical coders and billers. Although we wont actually know until it all goes into effect.

Posted by Shannon | May 15, 2011, 11:29 am
  87. I feel that I can expect to be a very busy biller in the near future I hope that many of my classmates will also make it to being a biller in this new boom of new and exciting.

Posted by Betty | May 22, 2011, 10:04 am
  88. I believe there will be an increase in need for billing/coding specialists, offering more opportunities to work in specialized health care areas, and an increase in insured Americans. It sounds exciting and offers hope for more and better jobs. I think the reality of health care reform will have problems- Mainly, cost and who foots the bill?

Posted by Ellen | May 25, 2011, 1:19 pm
  89. I believe that there will be a need for specialists in billing and coding. But at what cost to the American people. Most believe that their will be an increase in insured Americans, I believe on the other hand that their will be a decrease in insured Americans. I can see that health care reform will increse job oppoiturnities and a few other things but at what cost to the American people.

Posted by D.Dart | May 27, 2011, 11:01 am
  90. I agree with the preceding posts. I think it still is our responsibility to gather enough savings for our own medical needs or perhaps get a healthspring healthyadvantage medicare at least before we go on retirement.

Posted by David Forbes | June 5, 2011, 10:36 am
  91. I believe that billing and coding will be in high demand once the changes take effect. I also think that there will be an increase demand for specialist in certain fields as well. This means we may need to continue our education to stay competitive in our field.

Posted by Tammy Alameda | June 16, 2011, 11:52 am
  92. According to what the article states, there will be an increase in the number of billers and coders. This would be due to the changes in the Healthcare Reform Bill, which should increase the number of people who seek medical care. I volunteer at a free health clinic. A number of people who come in state that if we were not open, they would not seek medical care.

Posted by Murray Foran | June 16, 2011, 1:41 pm
  93. While I don’t believe that the health reform bill will be put into effect as it is written, I do believe that more Americans will end up with more affordable healthcare. As a result of this happening, Medical Billing and Coding positions will increase which will also improve our economy. This may not happen as quickly as the current administration wants it to as there are many republican opponents and they will drag the process out, as usual, but it will eventually happen.

Posted by Denyse Brooker | June 17, 2011, 10:48 am
  94. Health Care Reform. As for myself, I am living with a disability, private healthinsurance is hard to
    come by. Even if I can afford to buy it, it probably doesn’t cover all of my needs.Worrying about where to get coverage and the cost of your care is the last thing
    I want to do. The Affordable Care Act is expanding your options for health insurance and making them more affordable.

Posted by Ela Burse | June 17, 2011, 3:34 pm
  95. The Healthcare Reform . When the Healthcare Insurance reform expands more coverage for more citizens will have insurance. They will need more Billing and Coding positions. To keep up with all the work that needs to be done. I do hope that the Reform helps the citizens that do need insurance.

Posted by Vickie Kiakis | June 19, 2011, 8:02 pm
  96. It’s all going to change. We may not have a job when it’s all said and done.

Posted by Minnie Spencer | June 19, 2011, 9:06 pm
  97. If Health Care reform passes and 38 million people over the next decade have health insurance for the first time in ages, there will be a dramatic increase in billing/coding of these services that will be used. Since specialized services will be covered for women and other underserved groups that will also add to the need for billers/coders to handle the increased use of services. Add to all of this the biggest group of seniors getting ready to hit Medicare age/retirement and you have a BIG impact on the need for all of us. It is going to be a great time to be coming into this field!

Posted by L Arney | June 28, 2011, 7:54 pm
  98. Based on the reading of the article,it behooves us as medical billers and coders to just be ready. The information we are learning is crucial, whether things become regulated or not. If we already have the knowledge and gain the expertise in the interim of everything know that medical terminology, billing and coding will always have a spot, even it things are all electronically done. As long as there are doctors and patients there will be this need. WHO and CMS would not be wasting their time consistently udating the coding procedures if it were not important. There would be the first to know of any drastic changes eliminating this field. Be like the Boyscouts…just “Be Prepare”, as once we know the knowledge, it can always be expanded into various areas. Medical Billers and Coders are like the air…it must be breathed, the medical field cannot do without it.

Posted by Barbarra Baccus | June 29, 2011, 8:57 pm
  99. Pressingly enchanting blog post.

Posted by Jeannie Allyne | June 30, 2011, 6:50 am
  100. It is in my opinion that with the health care reform going into place there will be a growing number of jobs in all of the medical feilds as well as the billing and coding departments in order to accomidate the increasing number of people being seen for medical purposes.

Posted by Dana Kling | July 3, 2011, 9:35 pm
  101. The anticipation is growing. I hope that our field will increase along with our knowledge within the medical billing and coding field. The Reform has a lot of good qualities and hopefully our official superiors know what is in store for all americans, cause we are on the edge of our seats.

Posted by Brandy Oliver | July 16, 2011, 10:37 am
  102. Overall, the changes introduced by the health care reform bill will result in significantly more insured patients which will benefit the revenue of physicians – especially primary care doctors – family, internal, pediatrician, and geriatric providers. Working with family providers in my billing business, I’ve seen the impact of the uninsured on family doctors revenue, and how much they have to write-off due to patients who are not insured.The changes introduced by the health care reform bill are positive.

Posted by ANDREA MCCATHEN | July 19, 2011, 7:50 am
  103. My hope for the future of Healthcare reform is that we as Billers and Coders are able to keep up with the ever changing situation. I greatly appreciate blogs like this that have the information at hand. Thank you for pulling it all together. I look forward to ‘the news’ from these blogs.

Posted by Jennifer Oakes | July 19, 2011, 7:50 am
  104. I think there are some really good points in the healthcare reform and if the government quits draggig their fee that a lot of Americans ar oing to get the help they need and yes the medical billing and coding field will expand and so will our job security. I think that all Americans will have something to say about the new reform wether it is bad or good I guess we have to wait and see

Posted by Christy Heffern | July 19, 2011, 9:18 am
  105. This new bill sounds to be great, especially for women. But at what cost for the insurance? If you are forced to have and costs are high for premiums, low wages, will it be used? Are preimums, deductables, copays, etc be keep in line or will they go up as well? I hate to use my insurcance now as my deduct is high as well as the costs that insurance will not pay for is getting larger.

Posted by Sue Hall | July 19, 2011, 7:32 pm
  106. I am hopeful that no matter what transpires in regard to healthcare reform, many of us already and soon-to-be medical biller and coders will at least get our foot in the door. I really want to become an expert at this point. I need the experience. I get a rudh just passing a test and knowing a handful of medical terms. I would love to see how all this training may help the doctors and patients.

Posted by Virginia G. | July 20, 2011, 9:34 am
  107. I hope that this bill pasts so that billing and coding will have a promising future.

Posted by Chelsey Guillory | July 22, 2011, 8:26 am
  108. We will all have to want and see how the bill plays out. I am sure there will be many items that will change over time. Billing and coding at this time appears to be a high demand job and should continue to be in the near future.

Posted by Betty Tannahill | July 22, 2011, 5:20 pm
  109. I feel if this legislation passes there will be a large demand for more billers and coders in the field. This bill has a lot of good qualities but also a lot of unknown fallout right now as well which I think makes the American people a bit skeptical. We all want and need medical coverage but how this will play out over the years to come is still uncertain as to the bottom line of the cost of healthcare for the working American people.

Posted by Sharon Karlheim | July 23, 2011, 9:04 am
  110. It would seem that I ‘ve had a midlife career change which is definitely a step forward. I look forward to what the future may hold for me.

Posted by Stephen Hershey | July 24, 2011, 12:10 pm
  111. There will be more Americans getting healthcare insurance. Which means there will a bigger demand for billers and coders to process the forms.

Posted by Melcena Jordan | July 24, 2011, 12:28 pm
  112. I pray that in the future we as bill/coders will have the correct information on the Healthcare Reform on Medical Billing.I pray that all American people will be able to have some type of medical insurance for themselves and their family members.

Posted by Millie Johnson | August 2, 2011, 7:23 pm
  113. Hopefully the Health-care Reform will be what it’s suppose to be and all of us can have some kind of health insurance that is affordable so even the poorest people can go to the doctor. Because if it isn’t then the people who need it most still won’t be able to see a doctor. If there isn’t a huge influx of patient’s there will not be a huge need for billers and coders.

Posted by Jackie Eggers | August 3, 2011, 7:48 pm
  114. With millions of Americans qualifying for more health care services, I can only foresee an increase in the demand for coders and billers. I am hoping that our career will only expand…

Posted by Karla Medrano | August 5, 2011, 12:09 pm
  115. As a future biller/coder, I can only hope that this will be an improvement. With the rising cost of healthcare and the absolute need for the best insurance coverage possible, we can only hope for the best. These days its so hard to find a job, let a lone one that has good benefits, and I feel that is what we need. Americans, as a whole, are hard working people just trying to do the best for our families as we can and we should be rewarded for all of our hard work by companies we are making rich by giving its employees better benefits.

Posted by Patricia | August 6, 2011, 4:39 pm
  116. I feel that with the babyboomers getting older and people in general living longer if the healthcare bill passes it will cause a need for more billers and coders to keep up with the number of people receiving healthcare. I also feel the billing and coding job oppurtunities will also grow as the population ages. HIPAA laws have contributed to the need for more educated professional to handle the billing and coding of healthcare industries.

Posted by Alma Skube | August 7, 2011, 11:17 am
  117. There are always good points and not so good points when changes are made. Especially in the political sense. But, hopefully this new upcoming chane will be of the greatest service to those who are now not covered with healthcare
    plans. As for the effect on billers and coders? It seems as though there will always be a demand for certified professional billers and coders, as healthcare for humankind will always be needed. I am looking forward to joining fellow colleagues in medical billing and coding.

Posted by Kathleen Romano | August 23, 2011, 6:09 pm
  118. If all goes well with the health care reform, the outlook for increased need of billers and coders will be substantial. Having to insure so many more people in the United States, plus additions to women health care and, of course, care for the elderly, this seems to improve the job security.

Posted by Lisa Binns | August 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
  119. I had been thinking about the impact before I read this article. My thoughts are that thousands more Americans will then have some form of healthcare. Just the preventative side should keep coders very busy. Those people who do not seek healthcare now due to not having insurance will also increase our business. I think this will be the best time for this profession in growth.

Posted by Terry Moor | August 27, 2011, 4:59 pm
  120. I hope the medical field will continue to grow, and that the need for biller & coders will become increasing bigger all over the country.

Posted by Penny E. Rhoads | September 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
  121. So, now that ACA has passed, what happened? I would tend to agree with the comments here, that more will be needed. In my experience, especially in light of ERISA federal preemption of state health care plans on subrogation issues, insurance companies are going to be looking for any way to recover benefits paid on third party claims. This means coders to identify those potential cases! In my personal injury practice, we deal with subrogation all the time (to my heart’s discontent). It will be interesting in individual plans purchased through the ACA exchange will have federal legislation providing for subrogation, similar to group policies under ERISA. If so, bet your bottom dollar we will need tons of coders!

Posted by E. Ryan Bradley | January 7, 2014, 3:08 pm
  122. In Medical Billing and Coding, it is wanted all over the place, online, offline, everywhere. It is harder than I thought but, I am trying the best I can do.

Posted by MARLA EDMONDS | January 19, 2014, 11:47 am